Before listing the top 5 MVP favorites for the 2016-2017 NBA season, here is my criteria:
- Team Records come first – You can’t win MVP if your team is not headed in the right direction. For example, Anthony Davis – The Pelicans are currently 24-38, and a true MVP is a winner.
- Leadership comes second – You can’t win MVP if you’re not the leader of your team, furthermore, a great leader. You must put the team on your back. You must lead them the entire way. (Example: Kyrie Irving is not the leader of his team, which is why he’s not in my top 5.)
- Numbers come third – Of course numbers matter. You can’t win MVP if your numbers are not MVP worthy.
- Defense comes fourth – Offense wins games; defense wins championships.
Now, here are my top 5 favorites to win the MVP award:
5. PG: John Wall – Washington Wizards
Team Record: 37-24
Season Stats: 22.7 PPG, 10.8 APG, 4.5 RPG, 2 SPG, 44.6 FG%, 31.5 3PT%, 81.5 FT%, 4.3 TOPG
John Wall is dominating the court offensively. Without Wall, I don’t know how the Wizards could be successful on offense. Not only is his scoring impressive, but his distribution of the ball is incredible. John Wall is all about his team, averaging 10.8 assists per game trying to get his team involved to the best of his ability.
To add onto that, Wall is one of the best in the league at running the fast break, with his explosive speed, ball handling, and ability to take it coast-to-coast.